Fall is a season of warmth, comfort, and togetherness, and your home’s ambiance should reflect that. With a few simple tweaks and changes, you can create a cozy fall retreat you’ll want to snuggle in all season long. From homemade treats to changes in wall decor, discover five delightful ways to welcome fall.
1. Create Cozy Texture
To produce a snug atmosphere, introduce cozy textures into your home decor. Swapping out your usual woven couch blanket or lightweight duvet for something more seasonal is a relatively easy change that can impact the whole mood of a room.
Try to find blankets or throw pillows with touches of velvet, faux fur, or tonal autumn patterns. This extra bit of plushness adds to the inviting feel of your space, perfect for curling up with a good book or a hot cup of tea.
2. Welcome Scents of the Season
Nothing says fall like the aroma of pumpkin spice and cinnamon apples. There are several simple ways to infuse the air with the comforting fragrance of the season.
- Place scented candles or essential oils strategically around your home. Sweet vanilla, warm spices, pumpkin spice, or apple scents are the perfect fall choice.
- Put on a simmer pot. Cinnamon sticks, cloves, oranges, and apple slowly simmering on the stovetop offers a natural, homey feel to your kitchen.
- Mix up a batch of pumpkin bread. The first loaf of the season is always the most scrumptious! No candle comes close to the real thing.
3. Finish Up DIY Projects
The days leading up to the holidays are inevitably full of shopping, cookie exchanges, gift wrapping, and travel to see loved ones. Do yourself a favor and finish up any half-baked or must-do items on your home improvement list before the madness of the season descends.
Thinking of doing a mini bathroom makeover before your in-laws come to stay for the holidays? Now’s the time to get started! Transforming your bathroom from boring to beautiful can be achieved without any major renovations. One quick, inexpensive change that makes a big impact? Updating your vanity mirrors!
Add A Frame® makes it easy to customize a mirror frame to suit your exact measurements and setup—no matter the length or height you’re working with. Choose from a wide range of styles and finishes. Shop the range now to find your perfect fit.
4. Bring the Outdoors In
From stunning fall centerpieces to pumpkins placed around the mantel, let nature do your decorating this year. Bring the beauty of the outdoors inside with fall-themed flower vases that incorporate foliage and plants from your own yard or neighborhood. Add in fairy lights or tea candles for an enchanting glow around the dinner table.
5. Other Signs of the Season
Embrace the drop in temperatures by showcasing the natural hues and necessities of fall.
- Get out your go-to fall/winter coats and put them in an accessible spot. You might even hang a favorite cozy sweater or a stylish pair of gloves from a hook near the mudroom or door to add to your decor.
- Adorn your front door with a fall-themed wreath. You can buy one pre-made or create your own using natural elements like pinecones, dried leaves, and twigs. It's a welcoming touch that sets the tone for the season before guests even step inside.
- Swap out select artwork or wall decor with pieces that evoke the spirit of the season. It doesn't have to be a total redesign, but even changing out a few picture frames to hold photos from last winter can be a subtle nod to the season.
At the end of the day, decor isn’t what makes fall so cozy—that ultimately depends on a general sense of gratitude and togetherness. But these five little ways to welcome fall only add to the warm, inviting atmosphere that reflect the spirit of the season. And we say, bring it on!